Sunday, October 28, 2012

A great poet and a great writer.




Our beloved poet is no more. A poet does not die .Long live the poet. Yet a vacuum is created in many lives. It is a personal loss for me. I never met him yet he was no stranger to me. I had grown up with him and lived with him through his thoughts and ideas till this day -my middle age, and hopefully will live with him till I die. Our poet was not just a poet . He had spread himself in novels, short stories , weekly columns , essays . I will miss his weekly write-up in ABP . Reading him was like being in conversation with him. As if he was speaking to you . I will miss his warm presence at bookfairs , on various city forums , in television coverages, his opinions , his speeches. The poet was our own. You knew him even if you had never met him personally. My dad and I were great fans of his travel writings. He could make such writing so lively by simple observations and by his great fluid style.

Newspaper reports tell that there has been a huge demand for the poet’s works since he died. I have also been trying to beat my sorrow by going back to his poetry.



We grew up with Nillohit in our youth and every festival number from the ABP group was eagerly awaited by idle dreamers like me. Nillohit captivated us. Those were the heydays of Desh the dominant ABP weekly magazine . For years we were equally mesmerised by his mega historical novels serialised in Desh magazine. We were hooked, not a single issue could be missed ,to be discussed and debated thereafter.
“ Shei Somoy”(Those Days) and “Prothom Alo”(First Light) both are classics in their own rights and have been translated . Both these works opened up a new world - a world untrodden for ages -to thousands of readers like me. We became his diehard admirers forever. He was a guru to a generation of poets and writers . I personally like him for the simplicity of his language both in poetry and prose. It is not always easy to understand poetry . However even ordinary readers like me could appreciate and enjoy his poetry . Such was the beauty of his writing.

Let the world be blessed with more poets like him.



Ref/ Acknowledgements:

No comments:

Post a Comment